Home Forums Software Software Functionality: running locally, experiment end time, error logging

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kate
    Participant

Hi All.

I have a few questions relating to the chibio software and additional functionality:

1) Would there be any way to run the back end ‘locally’ e.g. on a desktop computer to remove the reliance on the BeagleBone (and resulting issues with physical/network connectivity that we sometimes struggle with, I’ve read a few others in the forum having issues with USB time-outs / drop outs in wifi)?

2) Is there functionality to set an experiment start and end time / length so that we could leave it running for a few hours and it automatically finish the experiment at a set point?

3) I know that originally no error logging was built into the system – has this changed or are errors still only visible on the terminal/PuTTy interface?

Thanks!

harrison
    Keymaster

Hi Kate,

1) We can’t do this since the Beaglebone is actively sending digital commands via I2C to the reactors, hence there needs to be that intermediary there to format and control each reactor. This being said, people have worked on means to make the web interface more robust, in fact someone put an update on this on Github last week that might be worth checking out: https://github.com/HarrisonSteel/ChiBio/pull/12

2) We haven’t integrated this yet but it should be fairly straightforward. You could just put a hard-coded stop at a certain cycle count into the code. For example write a custom programme which takes as input a number of cycles (corresponding to number of minutes) you want the experiment to run for, then it does a logic check with each cycle of the main software loop and when it reaches the set number of measurement cycles it turns off experiment.

3) We have not tried adding this error logging, in practice it would be quite straightforward to just write to an external file; you could just re-define the print statements throughout to print_custom which writes into a file.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Scroll to top